Uncovering The Food Of Penang Chendul

When it comes to food discoveries, Penang food is actually one of the popular food destinations in Malaysia. Everyone knows that. If you happen to visit Malaysia, I guess you could consider trying Penang food for you to enjoy how wonderful it is.

Let me share with you my food experience to this Penang Road Famous Teochew Chendul Outlet in Johor Bahru in conjunction with my ongoing  #JomtaraletsSupportLocal campaign stories. This outlet was established in the heart of Georgetown inside Penang in 1936. It was founded By Mr. Tan Teik Fuang and continued by his 6th son in 1977.

This restaurant (I would say) has been serving authentic delights to Malaysians including international guests with their various branches across Malaysia. 

They are also known for their Teochew Chendul. "Chendul" is an iced sweet dessert that contains droplets of green rice flour jelly, coconut milk, and palm sugar syrup and added with different fruits including nuts to make it more outstanding.  

This restaurant continues to serve fabulous delights to Johoreans and other residents nearby town and cities in Johor Bahru including Singaporeans and other tourists visiting the city.

Jom with me as I uncover the food wonders to their outlet in The Mall Mid Valley Southkey in Johor Bahru.

THE FOOD

We ordered Pandan Nasi Lemak Ayam Bakar, Assam Laksa, Original Chendul, Satay, Popiah and their Rojak.

The food discovery at this restaurant was very interesting. Their Pandan Nasi Lemak was perfectly done. I love the taste of the pandan rice. The smell is really appetizing. The combination of their crunchy nuts and ikan bilis (anchovies) gave an amazing taste when mixing it with their pandan rice. The combination for me was considered something we can recommend to a friend.

The sambal in that set was quite strong (it’s very spicy) so I just controlled the usage of their sambal while enjoying every bite of their Ayam Bakar (burnt chicken). 

Their Assam Laksa was very nice in my palate. The spicy level didn’t disturb the remarkable taste of the dish. The fish used in the set was really good--- it’s not salty. The other combination in the set such as cucumber, pineapple, tamarind, and red onions was superb when mixing to their Laksa noodle. I would say, it was really appetizing.

I love every scope of the soup mixing their soft and tender laksa noodle. If you cannot tolerate spicy food, I would not recommend you to take this.

Their Satay for me was something which I think needs to be improved. I found it a bit dry on my palate. The meat used was hard. However, I also have to admit that when mixing it with their peanuts sauce, it gives a different flavor. It was tasty. 

Maybe the type of meat used in the satay could have been added with a bit of fat so to contribute soft textures into the whole set. The ketupat they used was I think not the correct one- as far as I know, it should be the sticky rice. However, if this is the type of set they have, it’s still okay but perhaps they can improve on the meat preparation on their satay.

Their Popiah was good. The way it was wrap was fantastic. It's crunchy and it is very flavourful every time I bite and mixed with their own version of the sweet and sour sauce. I would say it’s nice. My kids love it very much.

Their rojak was also good in terms of taste. The sauce they used gives a good flavor to their mixed fruits.  Their ingredients (guava, pineapple, sengkuang) were fresh and crunchy. The spicy level of the rojak sauce was good and it perfectly blended in my tastebuds. There was an explosion of “wow factor” in my mouth.  I love it. My wife loves it too.

I was really sweating while enjoying their Assam Laksa and their Rojak. The cooling effect of the Chendul was a good finisher to me. I love every scope until I realized I finished it so fast. The ingredients used inside the Chendul was not too sweet instead, it was all blending and complementing each other. I love it and I would say it’s a recommendable dessert for the entire family.

Overall, I think my food rating to this restaurant is considered high with 9 out of 10 except for their satay. I would not give any rating for their satay as I believe that there is always room for improvement.

DISCLAIMER:

Reviewed food was based on the date the food was ordered. Reviews given were based on honest feedback. The featured restaurant may also have better menus which may even better according to your preferences.

For dine-in and other transactions amid to the SOPs due to MCO status of Johor, please seek updates from their Restaurant Management for further assistance.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments